Benefits of Hydropower
Water power offers a number of advantages to the communities that they serve. Below are just some of the benefits that hydropower has over other methods of providing energy:
- Hydropower is a clean fuel source;
- Hydroelectric power is a domestic source of energy, allowing each state to produce their own energy without being reliant on international fuel sources;
- The energy generated through hydropower relies on the water cycle, which is driven by the sun, making it a renewable power source, making it a more reliable and affordable source than fossil fuels that are rapidly being depleted; and
- In addition to a sustainable fuel source, hydropower efforts produce a number of benefits, such as flood control, irrigation, and water supply.
Socio-economic well being:
- The project activity has generated direct and indirect employment for skilled and unskilled locals both during the construction phase as well as during the operational stage. Therefore, the project has helped in controlling migration from the region and alleviation of poverty.
- The project activity’s contribution of power supply is helping in uplifting social life of locals by ensuring a sustainable and reliable source of power for the region.
- The Project has improved the infrastructural facilities like water availability, roads, and medical facilities in the region.
Environmental well being:
- The project activity generates clean energy, thus reducing emission. Without the project, power would have been generated by fossil fuels resulting in more emissions.
- The project has reduced the dependence on fossil fuels, thus conserving the natural reserves.
- The Project activity has improved the infrastructural facilities like water availability, road, and medical facilities etc in the region.
This project is verified by Verra VCS (Verified Carbon Standard), the world's leading voluntary GHG program. Over 1,600 certified VCS projects have collectively reduced or removed more than 500 million tonnes of carbon and other GHG emissions from the atmosphere. For more information on this project, please visit https://registry.verra.org/app/projectDetail/VCS/1425
United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
Parbati Hydroelectric Project
As a Regreener contributor your money directly goes towards supporting projects that are in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Here are the goals recognised by this project:
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy.
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.