Goals of the project
The specific goals of the Mersin Wind Farm Project are to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Turkey compared to the business-as-usual scenario;
- Help stimulate the growth of the wind power industry in Turkey;
- Reduce other pollutants resulting from power generation industry in Turkey, compared to a business-as-usual scenario;
- Help reduce Turkey’s increasing energy deficit; and
- Differentiate the electricity generation mix and reduce import dependency.
- The project activities will replace the grid electricity which is constituted of different fuel sources causing greenhouse gas emissions.
- By replacing in the consumption of these fuels, it contributes to conservation of water, soil, flora and faunas and transfers these natural resources and also the additional supply of these primary energy sources to the future generations.
- The project will help to accelerate the growth of the wind power industry and stimulate the designation and production of renewable energy technologies in Turkey.
- The project will assist to reduce Turkey’s increasing energy deficit and diversify the electricity generation mix while reducing import dependency, especially natural gas.
- Rural development will be maintained in the areas around the project site by providing infrastructural investments to these remote villages.
- The employment of local people (having the necessary technical qualifications for the job) is a top priority and is enhanced by all project activities during both the construction and the operation of the wind farm. As a result, local poverty and unemployment will be partially eliminated by increased job opportunities and business activities related to the project.
- The quality of the electricity in the region will be increasing as a result of local electricity production, which also leads to less distribution losses.
This project is verified by Gold Standard. Gold Standard was established in 2003 by WWF and other international NGOs to ensure projects that reduced carbon emissions featured the highest levels of environmental integrity and also contributed to sustainable development. For more information on this project, please visit https://registry.goldstandard.org/projects/details/1397
United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
Mersin Wind Farm Project
As a Regreener your money directly goes towards supporting projects that are in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Here are the goals recognised by this project:
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy.
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.